About Stephen Berman
Stephen D. Berman is an EB-5 immigration attorney and managing partner of Immigration Attorneys, LLP and head of the firm’s Milwaukee office. He focuses his legal practice on family and employment-based immigration, removal defense, criminal aliens, federal litigation and appeals. Attorney Berman has assisted clients facing Department of Labor audits, as well as Immigration and Customs Enforcement I-9 audits. He has represented corporations filing for specialized and skilled workers.
Attorney Berman’s practice is divided between immigration litigation, family and employment-based petitions, abused spouse petitions, crime victims self-petitions, as well as entrepreneurs, intra-company transferees, religious workers, investors, and others. He represents individuals seeking assistance with immigration and defense against removal. His clients come from all parts of Europe, Asia, the Middle East, Latin America, Australia, Canada and Africa. His clients include schools, financial service companies, hospitals, nursing homes, religious institutions, engineering, computer consulting and constructions firms.
Attorney Berman earned his Bachelor of Arts from Colgate University, and his Juris Doctor from Indiana University School of Law – Bloomington. He is admitted to practice in Wisconsin, Illinois, the U.S. Supreme Court, the Seventh and Ninth Circuit Courts of Appeals, the U.S. District Courts for the Eastern District of Wisconsin, the Northern District of Illinois and the District of Colorado. He is a member of the Trial Bar for the Northern District of Illinois. He is the secretary of the American Immigration Lawyers Association – Wisconsin and vice president of the Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society of Chicago.
Answers to EB-5 1053 Questions Answered
- How can I expand an existing business after buying its building and use this as my EB-5 project?
- How can I bring my EB-5 dependents to the U.S. as soon as possible?
- How can my EB-5 dependents come to the U.S. since we did not receive an NVC letter about their consular processing?
- What complications might an EB-5 dependent face if they have overstayed their U.S. visa?
- What happens to my EB-5 I-829 if the regional center goes bankrupt?
- How to fill out DS-160 with a withdrawn I-130?
- What is the status of my EB-5 I-485 if I have approved EAD and AP but my priority date and date of filing are not current?
- How can a DACA approved person residing in the U.S. be eligible for EB-5?
- How can my son, who is at risk of ageing out, apply for an F-1 while we wait for our EB-5 interview?
- How can we apply for my future spouse to legally stay in the U.S. before my EB-5 I-485 is approved?
- How can I have the EB-5 regional center I invested in return my money due to the DHS withdrawal of appeal that nullified the price increase?
- How can I apply for OPT while my family green card is pending?
- When can an Indian EB-5 investor with an approved I-526 apply for adjustment of status?
- How can a Chinese EB-5 applicant renew their F-1 visa?
- How can I travel outside the United States if I am currently on an OPT but my spouse has a pending I-130?
- How can I get my F-1 visa renewed while my EB-5 visa is pending?
- How will an EB-5 project lawsuit impact my L-1 and I-485 approval?
- What will happen to my EB-5 I-829 if job creation is delayed?
- How can I prove source of funds for my home purchase from a long time ago to use the home equity loan for EB-5?
- How can I benefit from the NIW application of my spouse as an L-1B visa holder who just lost their job?
- What should I do if my expired EB-5 conditional green card is stolen?
- How can I travel abroad if I am currently on OPT with an I-130 under review?
- How should I apply for a U.S. visa with an approved I-140 for NIW?
- What happens to my EB-5 funds if I do not submit an RFE response for I-526?
- How will the immigrant visa case of my child be affected by my staying abroad for more than a year while waiting for a re-entry permit?
- When should I expect to get my EB-5 funds back?
- How do I follow up on my EB-5 application expedite request?
- How can I convert from E-2 to EB-5 using the same business?
- How do EB-5 and E-2 visas compare for applicants with little to no business background?
- How can I qualify for an EB-5 visa if my only eligible asset is my existing company?
- How do changes in the visa bulletin affect the adjudication of pending EB-5 I-485s?
- How does concurrent filing work for EB-5 investors?
- How can an approved EB-5 investor schedule the filing of a re-entry permit and removal of conditions while living outside the US?
- How can I file a another I-485 as a dependent through my spouse while my I-485 application as a primary is still pending?
- How will my EB-5 dependent child get affected by the new CSPA law?
- How will my EB-5 case get affected by the fact that my file got transferred to a local field office?
- How can I complete the EB-5 I-485 process with an expired passport?
- How can I start a business on an EB-5 EAD?
- What should an EB-5 investor do if their child might lose CSPA protection but USCIS has not sent the case to NVC?
- How can I expedite the processing of my I-130 petition if a visa is not available?
- When should I file for my spouse, whom I married recently, if I have a pending EB-5 I-485?
- How can a writ of mandamus help accelerate my EB-5 process while my case is pending at NVC?
- How can we get a second approval notice for Form I-130 if we completely missed the first one?
- How can an EB-5 investor apply through another country that is not their place of birth?
- What documents do I need in order to show the sale of my house as the main source of my EB-5 funds?
- What should I do when my B-2 expires with pending I-130 and EB-5 I-485s?
- What are the exceptions for EB-5 fraud victims in generating the 10 jobs for removal of conditions?
- How can I switch to adjustment of status after receiving the EB-5 DS-260 letter from USCIS?
- How can I use my company that is located in a TEA for direct EB-5 investments?
- What are the risks involved with the E-2 pathway compared to EB-5?
- What should an EB-5 investor do if their I-829 application has been delayed for almost three years?
- How can we get a refund for our EB-5 investment that got rejected due to project failure?
- What should an EB-5 applicant do if they cannot make it to the consular interview?
- How can I work for a foreign company remotely from the US to switch to L-1 after my EB-5 project failure?
- How can I combine EB-5 and H-1B?
- How does the EB-5 process work for a DACA recipient married to an H-1B holder?
- How can I stay in the US legally with a denied EB-5 I-829, a pending I-485 and a valid combo card?
- How can I change my consulate selection for EB-5 consular processing?
- What happens if I stay abroad as my EB-5 conditional green card expires?
- As an EB-5 investor with a pending I-526, what are my chances of successfully obtaining an E-2 visa?
- How can I invest in my own U.S.-based online business to get an EB-5 visa?
- How can an EB-5 investor with a pending I-829 prove that they are authorized to work in the United States?
- How can I get an I-551 stamp if my I-829 is pending but my EB-5 project failed?
- How can I know what documents are missing from my EB-5 application?
- What are the risks of using an AP that got approved even though I traveled abroad with a pending EB-5 I-485 and I-131?
- How can I live and work in the U.S. while my EB-5 application is pending?
- How can I invest in the EB-5 visa with borrowed money?
- How would it affect my EB-5 I-829 processing if I marry a non-resident in the meantime?
- How can I change my status from L-1 to EB-5?
- How can the spouse of an EB-5 investor get an AP on a J-1 visa?
- How can an EB-5 investor expedite their advance parole/travel permit after concurrent filing?
- When is it wise for an EB-5 investor to file a writ of mandamus?
- How can my son pursue an education in the United States if his EB-5 I-526 is not approved on time?
- How can I qualify as an EB-5 investor on a business loan in addition to the minimum investment as liquid asset?
- How can my son enter the U.S. to continue his studies when he is about to receive his EB-5 visa?
- What are the rules and requirements regarding my employment in the U.S. after filing an EB-5 visa application?
- How can I change my conditional EB-5 green card to a permanent EB-1C green card?
- What should an EB-5 applicant do if there are mistakes on their Form DS-260?
- How can I use a bank loan to finance my EB-5 visa investment?
- How can I apply for an E-2 visa while in the U.S. on a B2 tourist visa?
- How can an EB-5 applicant reach NVC aside from the inquiry option?
- How would a marriage-based I-485 affect my pending EB-5 I-485?
- How can I start my EB-5 visa process as a college student abroad?
- How can I further extend my I-797 after my EB-5 green card has expired?
- How is the timeline for job creation requirements calculated with a direct EB-5 investment?
- How can we successfully reschedule our EB-5 consulate interview?
- What happens if the Dates for Filing chart retrogresses after I submit my EB-5 I-485?
- What should I do if I received my EB-5 green card while I am abroad?
- How will it affect my EB-5 application if the company I invested in files for bankruptcy after my I-526 is approved?
- How can I travel internationally with my EB-5 EAD and AP cards?
- How much detail do I need to disclose to USCIS for my EB-5 I-485 RFE about my F-1 visa from 20 years ago?
- Should I apply for an EB-5 EAD or EB-1C if I have the option?
- Which tax forms should we file as EB-5 investors to make sure our permanent green cards are not affected?
- What happens if my EB-5 regional center investment fails while I am on an I-485 EAD?
- What will happen to my H-1B status after my EB-5 EAD is approved with a pending I-526?
- What happens to beneficiaries if an EB-5 applicant has passed away?
- What is the timeline for an EB-5 investor to U.S. citizenship through naturalization?
- What should I do if I get my green card through EB-2 while my EB-5 I-526 is pending?
- How will multiple F-1 visa denials impact my eligibility for an EB-5 visa?
- How can I visit the USA while my EB-5 application is pending?