About Jimena G Cabrera
At the Law Office of Jimena G. Cabrera, based in Torrance, Calif., EB-5 immigration attorney Jimena Cabrera leads her own practice dedicated exclusively to investment, business, and family immigration law. She has successfully represented entrepreneurs and their families in immigrating to the United States through the EB-5 investor visa program. She has also assisted clients on immigration matters such as waiver applications, family-based petitions, foreign adoptions, asylum, criminal relief, and non-immigrant visas, along with citizenship and naturalization matters.
Within the EB-5 sector, Attorney Cabrera has expertise in preparing and filing I-526 petitions, I-485 applications for adjustment of status, DS-230/DS-260 consular processing applications, and I-829 petitions. She also has specialized experience in South American business practices and applies this knowledge when representing South American families in the EB-5 immigration process. Attorney Cabrera has traveled internationally and is fluent in both English and Spanish.
Attorney Cabrera started her career in immigration law while working at a law firm in Detroit, Mich. She graduated in 2004 from Wayne State University Law School in Detroit, Mich., with an LL.M. in Corporate and Finance Law. She also holds a Professional Degree in Law (1998) from the Catholic University of Arequipa, Peru, along with a Professional Degree in Business Administration (1998) from the Saint Agustin National University in Arequipa. Attorney Cabrera is actively admitted to the State Bar of Michigan, and is a member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association.
Answers to EB-5 95 Questions Answered
- Can I use the money earned from my gambling company for my EB-5 application?
- How can the public charge immigration rules impact EB-5 investors?
- Do I have to find a local immigration attorney for my EB-5 case?
- When do I get a conditional green card if my EB-5 priority date becomes current in Chart B but not in Chart A in the visa bulletin?
- Are there any differences in the physical presence requirements for the principal applicants and for dependents in an EB-5 case?
- Is there a way to check the processing progress of I-526 applications?
- Is EB-5 something still worth considering for Chinese investors?
- Is the filing of I-829 based on the date of I-485 submission or the date when the conditional green card is issued?
- When could an EB-5 investor receive an advance parole card after submitting an I-485 application?
- Under what circumstances is it necessary for a dependent applicant of I-526 to file an I-824 application?
- Should an Italian investor apply for an E-2 visa first while his EB-5 application is pending?
- How long does it take to process biometrics and the I-131 travel document?
- How can I use cumulative gifts as source of funds?
- How can I change the location for consular interview?
- How can I get my parents eligible as EB-5 dependents?
- What are the requirements for multiple EB-5 investors jointly investing in one direct EB-5 project?
- What is the required deposit schedule of the EB-5 investment capital?
- What taxation liabilities do I have if I transfer savings abroad to the U.S. as EB-5 source of funds?
- How can I travel abroad after biometrics appointment but before receiving my green card?
- What happens when an investor places a stop payment on the USCIS filing fee check?
- If I divorce my spouse before our I-829 is approved what happens to her application?
- How important is a resume for the EB-5 investment process?
- When does the “aging out” process start in the EB-5 Immigrant Investor Program?
- What should I do if my lawyer submits my I-526 filled with errors?
- How detailed must I be when documenting source of funds and income?
- How does the process of switching from a U.S. H-1B visa to an EB-5 visa work?
- Can I use a bank loan for my EB-5 investment?
- What is the time limit to act on an approved I-526 petition for the EB-5 Immigrant Investor Program?
- What are the restrictions on EB-5 investors residing in the United States on another visa?
- How long does it take for USCIS to reply to EB-5 applicants?
- What are the obstacles for immigrants who want to stay in the United States while waiting for their Adjustment of Status?
- How does the approval of my I-526 affect my F-1 status?
- How can a conditional permanent resident help their spouse get a green card?
- How can I use a loan to make my EB-5 investment?
- How does USCIS adjudicate batches of I-526 petitions for a particular project?
- What happens if an EB-5 investor has a passive role in the business?
- How will Hepatitis C affect EB-5 green card eligibility?
- How many jobs will my business have to create?
- From whom can an EB-5 applicant receive investment funds?
- What jobs can I apply for with a pending EB-5 application?
- What is the difference between the I-485, DS-230 and DS-260?
- What can we do during EB-5 conditional residence?
- When can an EB-5 dependent get an EAD card?
- Where must EB-5 dependents live during conditional residence?
- When does the two year conditional residence start?
- How will staying illegally in another country affect my EB-5 application?
- What are the benefits of an H-1B extension with a pending I-485?
- How can we count indirect EB-5 jobs?
- What should we do if one family member is missing their fee bill?
- What is my immigration status once I have an EB-5 conditional green card?
- What does it mean if an EB-5 project already has I-526 approvals?
- How can I tell if an existing business qualifies for the lower EB-5 investment?
- How can my parents apply for an EB-5 visa using my funds?
- How can an EB-5 investment be made with U.S. gambling winnings?
- Which employment-based petition should I submit first?
- Who decides if our EB-5 green card interview was successful?
- How is the country of origin determined for the EB-5 visa?
- How will an SEC lawsuit affect my EB-5 visa eligibility?
- Why is the wait time longer for Chinese EB-5 applicants?
- Where should the EB-5 attorney I hire be located?
- What happens if an EB-5 investor gets a job in the regional center?
- What are the EB-5 rules on equity versus a loan?
- How can I remain in status during EB-5 petition processing?
- How will applying for an L-1 visa affect my I-526 approval?
- How will divorce affect an EB-5 permanent green card?
- How does USCIS regard employee turnover in an EB-5 business?
- When must the spouse of an EB-5 applicant file the I-485?
- How long must an EB-5 green card holder live in the United States each year?
- What happens if an EB-5 business does not make a profit?
- How soon after marriage can a same sex couple apply for the EB-5 visa?
- What is the difference between EB-5 and EB-2 or EB-3?
- How do additional family members affect an EB-5 petition?
- Who must fill out the DS-260 application?
- How can I qualify for direct EB-5 using two different businesses?
- What documents will I need to show at a CBP internal checkpoint?
- When can an EB-5 investor begin working?
- How long does an EB-5 application take to be filed and accepted?
- What is the average time until consular processing post-I-526 approval?
- When will our children qualify for resident tuition rates through EB-5?
- How can the stepson of the main EB-5 applicant also immigrate?
- When should an EB-5 applicant get their priority date?
- How will an I-140 affect an EB-5 visa application?
- When must an EB-5 applicant move to the United States after DS-230 approval?
- What forms need to be filed in the EB-5 application process?
- How can I transfer funds into a different EB-5 project account?
- How are investments directed to an EB-5 regional center?
- How can we resume our H-1B visa after I-829 denial?
- How can an L-1 visa holder apply for EB-5 and remain in the United States?
- Why would our attorney not advise us to apply for EB-5?
- How are part time jobs counted toward the EB-5 10-job requirement?
- What is an EB-5 applicant required to apply for after I-526 approval?
- How can I start running my EB-5 business during the application period?
- How will I-526 approval affect the F-1 visas of my children?
- How can the adopted foreign-born son of a U.S. citizen apply for EB-5?
- How can a potential EB-5 investor also attend a U.S. university?