A successful mandamus suit can bring about the adjudication of EB-5 petitions that have been delayed. However, there’s no evidence that lawsuits change the ultimate outcome of the filing....
About Matthew T Galati
Matthew T. Galati is the principal of The Galati Law Firm. Representing immigrants to the U.S. is personal to Galati as he is the grandchild of and spouse of immigrants. With his significant experience in immigration law, Galati has handled matters relating to nearly every visa type. Over the past few years, Galati has focused the majority of his practice on EB-5 and E-2 related matters, resulting in the preparation of hundreds of investor petitions, as well as regularly advising U.S. companies utilizing the EB-5 program. In addition, Galati has creatively utilized other visa types to obtain immigration benefits for his entrepreneurial clientele. His client base consists of scientists, musicians, athletes, medical professionals and entrepreneurs.
Galati also frequently litigates on behalf of immigrants facing denials and delays. His experience as a litigator predate his law school graduation. Galati’s previous representations have included representing clients before federal district court, in adversarial agency practice, appellate proceedings and EOIR. Most notably, Galati served as counsel pro hac vice in the seminal EB-4 Religious Minister case Shalom Pentecostal Church v. Beers, No. 11-4491 (D.N.J. Sept. 16, 2013), which resulted in the elimination of two USCIS regulations that the court held to be illegally published. Galati has also filed several mandamus/unreasonable delay actions which have successfully “broken the backlog” for aggrieved visa applicants, particularly arising from EB-5 delays.
He is a member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) and serves on its EB-5 National Committee and the Philadelphia chapter’s executive committee as its vice chair.
Notably, Galati has been listed as one of SuperLawyers Rising Stars from 2016 to present in the field of business immigration. He was named a Top 25 EB-5 Attorney by EB5 Investors Magazine, and won its Rising Star award in 2018. In 2019, The Legal Intelligencer named him one of “Lawyers on the Fast Track.”
Following nearly two decades working in law firms in various capacities, and in realization of his own entrepreneurial goals, Galati founded The Galati Law Firm in 2020. He also remains of counsel to the U.S. offices of Toronto-based Green and Spiegel.
Galati obtained his Juris Doctor from the George Washington University Law School and his bachelor’s degree in politics and history from the University of Virginia.
Answers to EB-5 54 Questions Answered
- How should I start the process of filing a writ of mandamus for unreasonable EB-5 processing times?
- What should an EB-5 investor do if their I-829 application has been delayed for almost three years?
- How can I decide if it is justified to file a writ of mandamus for my EB-5 I-829?
- When is it wise for an EB-5 investor to file a writ of mandamus?
- How can an EB-5 conditional green card holder re-enter the U.S. with an expired extension?
- Are EB-5 investors being singled out for I-765 and I-131 processing now that concurrent filing is allowed?
- How can I expedite my I-829 for EB-5?
- What if I let my Eb-5 conditional permanent residency expire and apply for a green card though marriage in the U.S.?
- How long should I expect it to take to transfer an approved EB-5 I-526 from USCIS to NVC?
- My I-526 was approved in December but USCIS still has not sent my EB-5 case to the NVC. What can I do?
- Am I still a legal resident after my I-551 stamp expires?
- Why is my I-485 pending for over 3 years after the interview?
- What happens to approved I-526 petitions if the EB5 program sunsets on Jan 19, 2018?
- When does the “5-year path to citizenship” in the EB-5 Program start?
- Why is the EB-5 regional center program not set in place permanently?
- How can a conditional permanent resident help their spouse get a green card?
- What is the quickest way to naturalize after achieving permanent resident status?
- What are the educational requirements for an EB-5 investor?
- How do I know for certain that my spouse and other derivatives have been added to my EB-5 application?
- How will investing in a project alongside Chinese EB-5 investors affect my application timeline?
- What is the best way to go about adding children to my EB-5 petition?
- How do partnership investments work in the EB-5 program?
- Where can an EB-5 investor live after I-485 approval and before filing Form I-829?
- Where can a direct EB-5 investor live after getting the temporary green card?
- What are the salary and employment requirements for an EB-5 visa?
- How does an O-1 petition affect a pending I-526 petition?
- When do I hire an EB-5 immigration attorney?
- From whom can an EB-5 applicant receive investment funds?
- How can an EB-5 investor change from consular processing to AOS?
- How many EB-5 investors can a non-regional center business have?
- What delays in EB-5 can a foreign-born Chinese citizen expect?
- How will the Sept. 30 deadline affect direct EB-5 investors?
- What benefits does the spouse of an EB-5 investor receive?
- When does the two year conditional residence start?
- Where must EB-5 dependents live during conditional residence?
- What is the best visa type for a venture capitalist?
- How much of a company must I own to be eligible for an EB-5 visa?
- When can I file an EB-5 application if I overstayed my visa?
- Which option gives me a better chance of earning an EB-5 visa?
- How will making an EB-5 investment affect H-1B status?
- How can a current student apply for the EB-5 visa?
- Can my EB-5 investment be split into four separate properties?
- How can I use both an L1-A visa and the EB-5 visa to receive my permanent residency more quickly?
- How much of the capital stack for a project should be comprised of EB-5 funds?
- What are the differences between a conditional green card and a permanent green card?
- How can a same-sex couple qualify for EB-5?
- How can I find projects and attorneys who can speak Vietnamese?
- Do I have to invest the total amount at once?
- What happens to my investment if my I-526 is approved but my immigrant visa is denied?
- What is the level of scrutiny by USCIS at the I-829 phase?
- Will the minimum amount for EB-5 ever be increased?
- How can I apply for EB-5 if I am out of status?
- How do I obtain a request for qualifications for a regional center?
- How can I apply for EB-5 as an H1B visa holder?
Verified EB-5 Investors
EB5 Investors Magazine and EB5investors.com Articles
How the non-immigrant E-2 visa can offer benefits for the entrepreneurial investors who are waiting for their EB-5 approval....
Four points that USCIS should address to improve the I-829 petition....
Exemplar I-829s could lead to faster, higher-quality adjudications by USCIS and help alleviate many EB-5 investor anxieties....
Regulations should be changed to streamline the immigration process for F-1 students who have filed an EB-5 application....
It is unlikely that the proposals in S. 1501 and H.R. 616 will solve the issue of long EB-5 processing times....