About James Cai
James Cai (蔡旌明律师) is an immigration attorney and the managing partner of SAC Attorneys LLP, based out of San Jose, Calif. He focuses his practice on issues related to immigration, including advising business clients from around the world who are developing their operations in the United States, and foreign nationals seeking to immigrate through the EB-5 visa program. This includes preparing EB-5 petitions, performing due diligence review of investment projects, and designing appropriate ownership structures. Attorney Kai has also worked with multi-national corporations seeking to incorporate U.S. subsidiaries, serving as general counsel and helping to ensure full legal compliance of their human resource practices, along with preparing L-1 visa petitions for high level executives.
With over 15 years of legal experience, Attorney Cai maintains a client-oriented practice which is founded in relationship lawyering: he gives each client prompt and full attention, performs exhaustive research, and pays close attention to details. His many long-term clients include non-profit organizations, small businesses, individuals, public companies, and others. Before he founded SAC Attorneys LLP, Attorney Cai worked for Yahoo! Inc. as the company’s in-house legal counsel. He also practiced law at two leading California law firms, Gray Cary Ware & Freidenrich LLP (subsequently named DLA Piper Rundrick Gray Cary) and Morrison & Forester LLP.
The team at SAC Attorneys LLP has more than 50 years of combined legal experience, and serve a diverse group of clients originating from Silicon Valley, San Jose, and around the world. The firm’s honors include being named one of the Top Trademark Firms of 2007 and Top US Patent Firms of 2011 by Intellectual Property Today, along with a Best of San Jose Local Business by the U.S. Commerce Association. The immigration law group at SAC Attorneys LLP also received an AVVO Clients’ Choice Award in Immigration in 2012.
Attorney Cai graduated from Villanova University with a master’s degree in mechanical engineering. He then went on to receive his Juris Doctor from Temple University – James E. Beasley School Law, where he graduated Magna Cum Laude and in the top 5 percent of his class. He is a member of the Santa Clara County Bar Association, and currently serves as chairman of the Silicon Valley Information Business Alliance, which he co-founded. In addition to holding a real estate license from the California Department of Real Estate, Attorney Cai is admitted to practice law in California, the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, the United States District Court for the Northern District of California, and before the United States Patent and Trademark Office. He is fluent in English and Chinese.
Answers to EB-5 14 Questions Answered
- How can we ensure a project subscriber is an accredited investor?
- What qualifications should an EB-5 immigration attorney have?
- Where can we live when immigrating through EB-5?
- What business ownership percentage is needed to qualify for EB-5?
- How can a regional center administer an ongoing EB-5 project?
- How can I change from E-2 classification to an EB-5 visa?
- How do I find the best EB-5 project in terms of investment?
- How can I apply for EB-5 from outside my home country?
- How can I qualify for EB-5 after living in the United States illegally?
- When is a purchaser representative needed in EB-5?
- How would an EB-5 policy change affect submitted I-526 applications?
- How are public-private EB-5 projects different?
- What role do banks play in financing an EB-5 project?
- What offering documents are required for an EB-5 direct investment?