F-1 Visa Archives - EB5Investors.com

F-1 Visa

An F-1 visa is issued to foreign nationals who wish to enter the United States temporarily for education. F-1 visa holders must attend an academic program that can lead to a certificate or a degree. F-1 visa holders’ main purpose in the U.S. is to study, thus working is normally not permitted. However, under certain circumstances, F-1 visa holders can participate in curricular practical training (CPT) and optional practical training (OPT) during the period of study or after graduation. The validity of CPT and OPT varies based on the applicants’ fields of study. When applying for an F-1 visa at a U.S. consulate overseas, it is critical for applicants to show their financial ability to support their studies in the U.S, their strong connections with their home country, as well as their intent to return to their home countries upon the completion of their studies. The dependents of an F-1 visa holder can apply for an F-2 visa, which grants them the right to live in the U.S. during the validity of the principal applicant’s F-1 visa. F-2 visa holders are not allowed to work in the U.S.