About Maria Patsalos
Maria Patsalos serves as a partner for the Mishcon Private department, focusing on advising both individual and corporate clients in all aspects of immigration law. She has technical knowledge and experience dealing with unique and complex immigration matters, as well as an ability to provide innovative solutions in client cases.
Patsalos’ experience in the field covers a vast range of immigration pathways. She specializes in the UK five tier points-based immigration system; Tier 2 and Tier 5 sponsorship license applications; sponsorship certificates for employers; representative of an overseas business visa applications; family visas including fiance, spouse, civil partnership as well as unmarried partner applications; First-tier tribunal (immigration and asylum) cases and judicial reviews. Patsalos also has experience in nationality applications; many of her clients have sought an Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) in the UK and subsequent British citizenship applications. She is well-versed in the many complexities that arise in such cases, offering clients long-term strategic advice, as well as establishing connections within the UK for those clients. She also has experience with political asylum cases involving her clients’ political affiliations or social groups. In addition to UK citizenship cases, Patsalos has helped clients seeking citizenship-by-investment in countries such as Cyprus, Malta, Portugal and Saint Kitts and Nevis. She also serves as the immigration representative in the Mishcon de Reya’s Sports group, often advising football clubs in the UK seeking to obtain visas for their players. She has also legally advised darts, golf and rugby clubs.
Patsalos is recognized as a leading expert in the field of UK immigration law by both Chambers and Partners and The Legal 500. She was also named one of the "rising stars" in UK immigration law by Spear’s 500 in 2015 and she was recognized as a Private Client Practitioner’s Top 35 Under 35. Patsalos, in conjunction with Liberty, a UK-based Human Rights organization that protects “civil liberties and promoting human rights”, advises clients in meritorious defense cases. Patsalos also founded and actively supervises the immigration matters at Pink Law, a free legal advice service for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender individuals. The program is run by the Queen Mary University of London.
She earned her Bachelor of Arts degree in classical literature and civilization at the University of Birmingham. She speaks English and Greek fluently.
Answers to EB-5 16 Questions Answered
- How does the UK investor visa determine the age of a child?
- How is the long-term illness of a dependent considered under the U.K Tier 1 Investor Visa health requirements?
- What are some of the main challenges an entrepreneur faces when completing the application for the UK Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visa?
- My country does not allow dual citizenship – how can I avoid being stateless if my application for a British citizenship is approved?
- What if the main applicant for U.K. Tier 1 Investor does not work?
- What if the UK goes through a period of deflation following Brexit in 2019 and I lose money on a bond investment I make for the Tier 1 Investor visa?
- How can I extend my Tier 1 Investor visa application for U.K. residency?
- Will the U.K.’s Tier 1 (Investor) visa become a good option for E.U. citizens who want to continue living in Britain post-Brexit?
- What can I do if my financial institution is on the HO''s list of institutions that do not satisfy U.K. Tier 1 (Investor) visa requirements?
- When during the U.K. Tier 1 (Investor) visa citizenship application process must I reside in the U.K. without ability to travel out of the country?
- Can I get permanent residency any quicker than 5 years under the UK Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) Visa?
- How could my previous immigration history impact my application for the UK Tier 1 (Investor) category?
- How should a UK Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) Visa applicant manage business risk prior to receiving Indefinite Leave to Remain?
- What are the special qualifications for students already in the UK and applying for the Tier 1 (Investor) Visa?
- What type of documentation do I need to provide to prove that the funds I will invest come from legitimate sources?
- Are there any options if I cannot fulfill the UK residency requirement?