About Clem Turner
Clem Turner is an EB-5 corporate and securities attorney. He is currently a member of Chiesa Shahinian & Giantomasi’s corporate and securities group, based in New York, N.Y. He also heads the firm’s alternative capital practice.
Turner has more than 20 years of experience advising clients at all stages of corporate development, representing newly formed and emerging companies, middle-market growth companies and large public corporations from a broad range of industries. The industries include technology, financial services, hospitality, real estate, manufacturing, health care, new media, software development, e-commerce and entertainment.
Turner’s EB-5 experience ranges from simple direct $1 million EB-5 offerings up to complex $400 million raises with institutional investor participation. In the aggregate, he has counseled clients who have raised more than $1.5 billion through the EB-5 program.
Turner has significant experience counseling corporations raising capital through traditional investment methods, including early seed capital; convertible notes and SAFEs; strategic investments and venture capital; private equity and closed-end funds; P.I.P.E.s; initial public offerings; and subsequent public offerings. His clients have ranged from emerging entrepreneurs, raising up to $100,000 from friends and family, to major corporations raising over $1 billion from public markets and institutional investors.
Turner also has significant experience in mergers, joint ventures and strategic alliances. He has represented public companies such as Sunbeam Products and Varsity Brands, Inc. (formerly Riddell Sports, Inc.) with their business acquisitions, and has experience navigating the Hart-Scott-Rodino Act in connection to major mergers.
Prior to joining Chiesa Shahinian & Giantomasi’s, Turner practiced at Barst Mukamal & Kleiner, LLP.
Turner has been selected as one of EB5 Investors Magazine’s Top 15 Corporate EB-5 Attorneys. He is a sought-after commentator on the EB-5 program, and has been cited by NPR’s “Marketplace,” The Real Deal Magazine, Real Estate Weekly, Bisnow and the South China Morning Post. Additionally, Turner has published several articles related to EB-5 and crowd financing.
Turner is licensed to practice law in California and New York. He earned his undergraduate degree in psychology from Princeton University and his legal degree from Georgetown University. He was the executive editor of the American Criminal Law Review while at Georgetown.
Answers to EB-5 120 Questions Answered
- How can we raise EB-5 capital as a telecommunications company?
- How can I establish a special investment vehicle to attract EB-5 investors?
- How can my company participate in the EB-5 program?
- What are the net worth requirements for EB-5 visa applicants?
- What are the steps for a business entity to receive EB-5 funding?
- How can an investor increase their involvement in an EB-5 project?
- Where can we live when immigrating through EB-5?
- What can an EB-5 investor do if they are dissatisfied with project progress?
- What business ownership percentage is needed to qualify for EB-5?
- How can an investor apply for the EB-5 visa if they are not fluent in English?
- How does a municipality establish an EB-5 regional center?
- What issues will there be with an EB-5 project that initially used bridge financing?
- What is the law about refunding my capital if I am denied my I-526?
- What countries do you see becoming more active in EB-5?
- How long does a new business have to receive EB-5 funds?
- What is the I-526 processing time for a direct investment?
- How would I structure a regional center collaboration?
- What will happen to my investment if my I-829 is denied?
- What investments count towards the EB-5 investment threshold?
- Does EB-5 place limitations on family immigration?
- Can EB-5 be sponsored by a family member?
- What types of businesses qualify for EB-5 capital?
- How can I best attract EB5 investors?
- How is working capital counted in EB-5 investment?
- Do I need an attorney to apply for an EB-5 visa?
- Can non-profit hospitals be funded through the EB-5 program?
- Can I use rental income for the EB-5 Program?
- What is the difference between Regional Center and a direct investment?
- Do I submit my project directly to a Regional Center?
- Why does I-924 takes from targeted 4 month to 9 month?
- What tips can you provide for drafting business plans for EB-5 Project?
- How can a business attracts EB-5 investors?
- Do you need to have an EB-5 Project in order to start your own Regional Center?
- How should I approach EB-5 projects as an EB-5 investor?
- Can I purchase an EB-5 Regional Center?
- Can I use gifted money from my maternal uncle for EB5?
- Do all immigrant investors have to invest through EB-5 Regional Centers?
- What are the most common problems that EB-5 visa applicants face?
- How much does it cost to establish an EB-5 regional center?
- Can I apply for an EB-5 Visa while in the US on an E3 Visa?
- Do I need a sponsor for an EB-5 green card?
- How can US corporations find EB-5 investors?
- Can a property mortgage qualify as an EB-5 investment?
- What is the benefit of investing in an EB-5 Regional Center?
- Can you convert a B1 Visa to an EB-5 Visa?
- Can EB-5 immigrant investors be guaranteed a return on their investment?
- Can I sell my company through the EB-5 Program?
- Can I use EB-5 investors as business partners for my small business?
- Can I use EB-5 investment capital to invest in a holding company?
- What are job creation requirements in EB-5 projects involving expanding businesses?
- What is the processing time for the I-526 application?
- Can funds from a parent in the U.S. be used for an EB-5 visa?
- Can an illegal immigrant qualify for an EB-5 visa?
- Can non-accredited investors participate in the EB-5 program?
- Are there EB-5 Regional Centers in the biotechnology or pharmaceutical sectors?
- Can I maintain my green card petition after a failed EB-5 project?
- Does USCIS give a receipt upon receiving EB-5 visa materials?
- Will I have to manage my EB-5 project from inside the United States?
- How much capital needs to be initially deposited with the Regional Center?
- Can a Regional Center qualify for $500,000 investors if it is does not meet TEA designation?
- Do I need to place a private placement memorandum (PPM) for my EB-5 visa?
- How long will it take to get an EB-5 if I have a B1/B2 visa?
- Are EB-5 visas still being issued?
- When are EB-5 investments available to the business?
- How can I find an EB-5 Investor to look at my business?
- Do I need to declare taxes on an EB-5 investment that was gifted from my parents?
- Can an EB-5 Investment be made in a 501(c)3 non-profit?
- Can EB-5 investors fund residential development?
- What kind of attorney do I need to create an EB-5 Regional Center?
- Would an EB-5 visa be a good option?
- Are there business growth opportunities in the EB5 program?
- How are fired employees counted towards EB-5 job creation requirements?
- How do I find a qualified EB-5 attorney?
- Can a secured loan be used to fund an EB5 visa investment?
- Has USCIS resolved the EB-5 tenant-occupancy issues?
- What is the processing time for the I-526 Petition?
- Can multiple people pool their funds and talent to set up an EB-5 Regional Center?
- Can an EB-5 green card be granted to the partners managing a company?
- Why is it difficult to get an EB-5 troubled business approved?
- Does the entire EB-5 investment amount have to be made before filing the I-526?
- How do I know whether or not an EB-5 project is part of a Regional Center?
- Where can I find a list of EB-5 projects?
- How much are EB-5 attorney fees?
- How do we find EB-5 investors?
- How can investors from Middle Eastern tax free havens participate in the EB-5 program?
- Can I use a gift to get my EB-5 visa?
- Is there an age limit for the EB-5 Visa Program?
- Could a healthcare provider raise capital through the EB-5 program?
- How long do EB-5 jobs need to be created for?
- Can you attract EB-5 investors outside of a Targeted Employment Area?
- Is there a list of investors interested in the EB-5 program?
- What types of EB-5 projects get approved?
- How can I determine if my EB-5 project will qualify for TEA designation?
- Is there a limit on the number of projects an EB-5 Regional Center can have?
- Can people from any country get an EB-5 visa?
- Why are EB-5 investments regulated by the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC)?
- What is an EB-5 migration agent?
- Can EB-5 investors invest in a pre-existing business?
- Can an EB-5 investor be employed for compensation at the business they invest in?
- Does the government provide financing options for EB-5 visa applicants?